It’s All about the Benjamins
I'm a fan of both Shakespeare and P. Diddy (formerly Puff Daddy) — both of whom are unique and controversial figures of their time. Achievements abound in their respective, yet vastly different professions. No matter the industry or how much time has passed, they have the most incredibly recognizable names. Your name is your brand, your essence, your calling card. And choosing a firm name and website URL are critical.
Law firms, as one would expect, are traditionally named after their founders. Very staid, regal names, where commas are never at a loss for jobs. But what about the name of your law firm? What is your firm's webpage URL? A clever and cute URL doesn't sell the expertise — in fact, it can do the opposite and trivialize the hard work of a firm.
Take for instance how a brand is created: research, research and more research. Large companies pay big bucks to ensure that a name is the right fit and resonates.
I'm not suggesting to spend an exorbitant amount of money on this exercise, but do keep a few things in mind when starting out:
- How will your firm's name look on the Web, as part of a logo, or on social media? Is it very long or hard for people to remember?
- Does your name mirror your profession appropriately? Will it attract the right audience?
- Do a trademark check before you select your firm name. Use the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's trademark search tool to see if a similar name, or variations of it, is trademarked.
- Secure your name on social media as early as possible: Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter are prime Web destinations.
- See if your domain name (or Web address) is available. Go to the WHOIS database of domain names. If it is available, be sure to claim it and register a domain name.
So, before you go ahead and purchase www.VodkaForTheRoad.com because DUI is your area of practice, think about how you want to come across to your online audience. It may sound great in your head, but a bit funky when you say it out loud or read it on the Web. Remember, it's all in the name — sometimes it pays to play it safe.
If you would like help with your website or to learn how to attract more potential clients who are looking for legal help, give us a call at 866-799-3717, or contact a LexisNexis Law Firm Marketing Specialist.
Also check out these previous posts:
Leave a Comment