Joseph Hegedus has more than 30 years of experience which includes transactional and corporate work, litigation, and arbitration in commercial, business, financial, and insurance-related matters, and representation of clients before federal and state trial and appellate courts, and administrative agencies.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Insurance coverage (including property and casualty, life and health, and title)
- Insurance bad faith
- Insurance regulatory matters
- Internet and electronic commerce
- Commercial disputes
- Employment (executive agreements, benefit plans, wrongful termination, and discrimination claims)
- Constitutional and governmental law
- Antitrust and unfair business practices claims
- Civil racketeering (RICO) claims
- Editorial Board, California Insurance Law & Regulatory Reporter
- Member, AIDA Reinsurance & Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS U.S.)
- Conference of Insurance Counsel
- Honorary Assistant Attorney General, State of Alabama
- Article and Presentation, "Federal Regulation of Insurance: An Historical Perspective and Summaries of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act," Business Law Section, New York State Bar Association, at Nassau, The Bahamas (October 9, 2004).
- Seminar Panel, "First-Party Insurance Coverage for Biological Airborne Contamination of Structures," Los Angeles, California (CLE, January 30, 2001).
- Seminar Panel, "Cyber-Torts: New and Changing Torts on Internet and in Information Technology," Los Angeles, California (CLE, October 4, 2000).
- Seminar Lecture, "Claims Litigation Management Strategies for Property and Casualty Insurance Companies," San Diego, California (Global Business Research Ltd., November 1-2, 1995).
- Seminar Lectures, "Intellectual Property and Insurance Coverage," Los Angeles, California and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (February and April 1995).
- "Insured's Right to Independent Attorney Paid by Insurer: Cumis Counsel, Conflicts, Common Law and Code," Recent Developments in Insurance Law (Lorman, January 1993).
- "Nonadmitted Insurers: Surplus Line Insurance and Caveat Emptor," Recent Developments in Insurance Law (Lorman, January 1993).
- "Insurer Insolvency, Reinsurance, Advertising Injury and Risk Retention and Purchasing Groups," Recent Developments in Insurance Law (Lorman, January 1993).
- "Paying for Proposition 103: Constitutional and Other Legal Infirmities in the Insurance Commissioner's and the State Board of Equalization's Billing Insurers," California Insurance Law & Regulatory Reporter (Vol. 2, No. 4, April 1990).
- "Fair Dealing: Appeals Court Overturns Bad-Faith Award Against Reinsurer," Business Insurance (May 23, 1988).
- Case Note: "Antitrust Lawsuit by States Against Insurers and Reinsurers Dismissed," (March 1990).
- Case Note: "California Supreme Court Upholds 'Fair Rate of Return' as a Constitutional Standard for Analyzing the Impact of Statutes and Regulations on the Insurance Industry," (June 1989).
- Case Note: "Right of Insurance Company to Withdraw from State Upheld Notwithstanding Proposition 103" (March 1990).
- Case Note: "California Supreme Court Upholds Constitutionality of Proposition 103," (May 1989).
- Note: "Legal Ramifications of Proposition 103," Proposition 103 Alert (May 1989).
- Seminar Lecture, "Sexual Harassment - Current Legal Developments," Los Angeles, California (1987).
- General Counsel, Allianz Insurance Company and affiliated insurance, financial, and computer companies (1980-1986)
- Deputy Attorney General, Major Civil Litigation Division, Pennsylvania Department of Justice (1978-1980)
- Assistant Attorney General, Pennsylvania Insurance Department (1976-1978)
- Temple University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1975
- Cornell University, Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, 1972