Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) — LexisNexis AlaCarte!™
Have a question? For quick answers, check the list of questions and answers below. If the answer to your question isn't here, don’t forget to check the Help link.
For tips on searching, see 10 Tips to Fine Tune Your Search Results with Advanced Search.
What is LexisNexis AlaCarte!?
Click here for a detailed description of LexisNexis® AlaCarte!™
How do I use the search form?
Simply type your key word or words into the form, select a date range to establish a time frame for your search, then click "Free Search".
How do I use Advanced Search?
Click the "Use Advanced Search" link. Type in your key words, phrases or Boolean search terms in the appropriate fields, select a date range, then click "Free Search".
Can I use connectors in my search request?
Yes, you can use search connectors with Advanced Search.
Note: See 10 Tips to Fine Tune Your Search Results with Advanced Search.
How do I purchase a single document?
- Enter your search criteria and click the button.
- When your results are displayed, click the button next to the document you wish to purchase. If you have not yet registered or logged in, you must do so prior to viewing the document. To register, you must enter your credit card information. Your credit card will be charged when you view the document.
How do I purchase multiple documents?
- Enter your search criteria and click the button.
- When your results are displayed, click the checkboxes for the documents you wish to purchase and click the "Add to Cart" link near the top left of the page. Click the "Proceed to Checkout" link near the top right of the page, then click the button to complete your purchase.
From the page that appears after you click the button, you can either:
- Use the "click here" link to return to your search results and continue searching.
- Click the "My Documents" link to view the items you just paid for.
If you are viewing multiple documents at the same time, one credit card charge will appear on your bill.
You can view the documents you've paid for at any time by selecting "My Docs" from the "My AlaCarte!" menu in the top navigation bar.
How do I find out if a specific source is available?
How do I combine specific sources to search in?
How do I search multiple specific sources at once?
Follow these steps to choose your own combination of sources using the Find and Browse subtabs.
- Click the "Search by Source" tab.
- Use the Find and Browse subtabs to look for the sources you want to search.
Click the "Add" link next to the source you want to search to add it to the "Specify Sources" tray. You may add up to 10 sources to this tray.
Use the "Remove" and "Clear Source List" links to change the sources being searched, if desired.
Click "Search These Sources" to display a search form.
Use the "Modify Sources" and "Clear All Sources" links to change the sources being searched, if desired.
Enter your search criteria and click "Free Search".
- Find — To find a specific source:
- Click the Find subtab, if necessary.
- Type the name or keyword of the source you want to search.
- Click Find.
- Browse — To find out whether a specific source is available:
- Click the Browse subtab.
- Choose the letter that your source name starts with.
- If necessary, scroll through the list of sources to find the one you want.
How do I know what sources I'm searching?
When you’re searching within any tab, simply click the Information icon (if available) to display information about the sources being searched. For a complete list of LexisNexis AlaCarte! sources, go to the Search by Source tab, click the Browse subtab, then click an alphabetical link to see the sources that start with that letter. You may then click the Information icon to display information about each source.
How often are the sources updated?
Sources within LexisNexis AlaCarte! are updated continually to provide the most up-to-date information possible. The update frequency depends on the source.
When I place items in my cart, how long do they stay there?
An item remains in your cart until you check out or log off the system. If you log off without confirming payment for viewed items in your cart, you are automatically charged and electronically invoiced for those documents. If you have not clicked the "Finish Checkout" button before logging off, documents in the cart that you have not viewed are removed from the cart, and you are not charged for those items.
Am I charged for printing or downloading?
You are charged a one-time fee for viewing selected documents. There is no specific option for downloading documents. You may access all the documents you have purchased, at no additional charge, for up to 90 days. To access your documents, go to the "My AlaCarte!" menu located on the top navigation bar and select "My Docs" for a list of all the documents you have purchased within the last 90 days. There are no additional fees related to printing the files.
Do I need special software to view TV News Video clips?
No. We do recommend, however, that you use one of the following configurations:
- Windows / Internet Explorer
- Macintosh / Firefox
Why isn't the whole TV News Video clip playing?
Each TV News Video clip is divided into 1-minute segments. If you want to see the entire video clip, click the left-most thumbnail (minute 1), then click Play to start viewing the clip from that point. That is, if you click the thumbnail for minute 4 of a 7-minute video clip and click play, you will only see minutes 4 –7 of the video — not minutes 1–3.
What credit cards do you accept?
You may use American Express, MasterCard or Visa to purchase documents on LexisNexis AlaCarte!.
Can I pay by PayPal?
No, we currently do not accept PayPal payments; however, additional payment options will be available in the future. All registered users who opt to receive product updates via email will be notified when new options are available.
Can I use a debit card?
Yes, you can use any debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo on it.
How do I update my account information?
When you need to modify your account information (such as your email address, credit card information, or password), follow these steps:
- Sign in to AlaCarte! at the Sign In screen.
- Choose My Account from the My AlaCarte menu.
- Click either the "Edit Personal Data" link or the "Edit Account Data" link.
- When you finish modifying your information, click the Submit button, then click the Continue button on the resulting confirmation screen.
- If you want to conduct another search, click the tab for the type of research you want to do (that is, "Research", "Business Intelligence", or "Search by Source(s)").
How is LexisNexis AlaCarte! different from subscriber-based LexisNexis products?
LexisNexis AlaCarte! was developed to meet the demands of small business professionals who need reliable and easily accessible information on a just-in-time or periodic basis. The primary difference between LexisNexis subscription-based offerings and LexisNexis AlaCarte! is the breadth of content and level of service provided:
- LexisNexis AlaCarte! offers access to more than 20,000 sources and over 3.8 billion documents at a per-document cost.
- Subscription-based LexisNexis products offer access to more than 32,000 sources and more than 6 billion searchable documents.
I spend an average of $500 a month on LexisNexis AlaCarte!. Would other LexisNexis products be more cost effective for me?
Click here to contact our sales staff. We have a variety of products that can be customized to your specific needs.