Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I'm using the Italic button, but my answer does not display in italics. Why won't the italics work?
A: Your answer will not display in italics in the Solution textbox, but you should see HTML tags <I> at the beginning and </I> at the end of the information to be italicized. If these tags do not appear, highlight the relevant text and click the Italic button. Click the Preview button to see your formatted solution before submitting it.
If your answer is not displaying in italics in the Incorrect Citation space, verify that you have placed an italics tag at the beginning and end of the text you want italicized [example: <I>Smith v. Jones</I>].
Q: My answer matches the Correct Solution answer exactly, but all or part of my answer displays in red. Why won't the ICW recognize my answer as correct?
A: There are a couple of things that may cause this to happen:
This is almost always a case of an extra space. The system counts an extra space as a character. Be careful not to have extra spaces particularly around, for example the italic code <I>. The feedback can only show two 'consecutive spaces' in the feedback that looks like this ^^. You can view your answer before you click submit which may help you see this.
- Verify that you have italicized only the text that needs to be italicized. For example, italicize punctuation that falls within italicized material but do not italicize punctuation that follows italicized material [examples: <I>XYZ, Ltd. v. A.B.C. Corp.</I>, 000 Rptr. 000 (court date), <I>aff'd</I>, 000 Rptr. 000 (court date) and Writing Professor, <I>Effective Teaching: Is Your Approach Working? Analysis, Critique, and Technique</I>, 00 L. Rev. 000 (year)].
- Verify that you have highlighted and italicized each block of text once rather than highlighting and italicizing each word or phrase within the block - additional italics tags may cause the ICW to read your answer incorrectly. For example, for the case name "Smith v. Jones," you would begin highlighting with "Smith" and end with "Jones" before clicking the Italic button [so that the text in the Solution textbox appears as: <I>Smith v. Jones</I>]. If you italicize "Smith," "v.," and "Jones" separately [the text in the Solution textbox appearing as: <I>Smith</I> <I>v.</I> <I>Jones</I>], the ICW may read your answer as incorrect.
Q: My answer is displayed all in blue, but the ICW tells me that it's not correct. If it's wrong, why is it all blue?
A: This happens when the portions of the answer that you have included are correct but when you have omitted part of the answer. Review the problem and your answer to determine what should be added to reach the correct solution.
Q: There's no textbox to type in or I can type but can't italicize, use symbols, submit or preview answers.
A: This means either:
- that you don't have the current version of the Flash Player plug-in installed or
- that the plug-in didn't load completely or has stopped running.
There's a link on the ICW home page to download the Flash Player plug-in. If you've previously done the exercises without problems, then close all browsers windows and open a single window. Clean the browser's cache and access the assigned exercise.
Q: How can I change an email address that I entered?
A: Each time that you access ICW, you'll see a confirmation screen where you can correct the email address unless you have 'saved' your login information by checking 'Remember my sign on information'. To update your ICW Registration screen you MUST Unsave so it will come up when you sign on. To Unsave, return to the homepage, click Sign Off, and click Unsave on the pass through page.
You can change the email address at the LexisNexis Interactive Citation Workstation Registration Confirmation screen, which appears when you log into ICW. To update this information, please follow these steps:
MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE ALL YOUR BROWSERS DOWN. USE ONLY ONE UNTIL THE PROCESS IS COMPLETE. If you are still having trouble, please call Customer Support at 1-800-45LEXIS (1-800-455-3947).
1. Close out all of your browsers to ensure that you are logged out of LexisNexis and ICW
2. Go to the ICW homepage: www.lexisnexis.com/icw
3. Click on the Bluebook or ALWD tab
4. Click on any exercise
5. Sign On. The Registration Confirmation screen should now appear
6. Delete or Update any necessary email address*
*Please note that two email addresses are required. Please enter your own email address for both the student and professor fields if your instructor does not wish to receive notification. (Secondary Email is NOT a required field.)
• CHECK the "Display all information on certificate" box so the correct answers to missed problems are displayed on your Completion Certificates.
If you have already completed an exercise, you can still resend the results by first updating your registration screen (enter or correct instructor email address), then return to the exercise and click the 'Done' button again which automatically resends the certificate. You can also print your results.
Q: My professor doesn't want to receive the email results? What can I do? (Or is not receiving emails-see below)
A: Two email addresses are required, but they don't have to be different. Enter your email address or an alternate personal email address in the "primary professor" field.
Q: What if I accidentally click the Done button instead of Save & Close. Or simply closing all browsers will save your work and allow you to return to complete an exercise later.
We cannot clear a student's results unless requested by his/her instructor. Exception: a one-time reset if you clicked done after only completing one or two problems.
If your professor wants you to redo an exercise, your professor can clear your results for the exercise or submit a request via the ICW "Contact" button to have your results cleared.
An exercise is "completed" when you click the "Done" button. You may return to a completed exercise and click the "Practice" button to do individual problems unlimited times for practice and feedback. Practice results are not saved, and no emails are sent.
Q: My instructor is not receiving my email results and I have clicked the DONE button?
Please check your email address on the registration screen to assure it is correct. If the email address is a school address and the emails are not arriving, you may wish to check with the school's IT department to find out if the email address is being blocked <LNG-DAY.ICW@lexisnexis.com> and request they add it to their list of approved email addresses. Also, we have no control over an individual’s use of Spam blockers.
Q: I think the ICW is malfunctioning. How do I report this?
A: If you've read this page and the instructions page and not solved the problem you're experiencing, contact the LexisNexis ICW Web Team and include the following information (click the Contact tab):
- the computer operating system (Windows or Macintosh) and the version
- the browser you are using (e.g., Internet Explorer)
- the version of browser you are using (e.g., 6.0)
- whether the problem occurred on your personal computer or a computer which other students are also using to do ICW exercises
- the exercise in which you experienced a problem
- the question number on which you experienced a problem
- the specific problem you experienced
You will receive an email response and may be requested to provide:
- a copy of your email results if you completed the exercise
- a file of the web page on which you experienced the problem, if you were able to save the web page as a file