Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I'm using the Italic button, but my answer does not display in italics. Why
won't the italics work?
A: Your answer will not display in italics in the Solution
textbox, but you should see HTML tags <I> at the beginning and </I> at the end
of the information to be italicized. If these tags do not appear, highlight the relevant
text and click the Italic button. Click the Preview button
to see your formatted solution before submitting it.
If your answer is not displaying in italics in the Incorrect Citation space,
verify that you have placed an italics tag at the beginning and end of the text you want
italicized [example: <I>Smith v. Jones</I>].
Q: My answer matches the Correct Solution answer exactly, but all or part of my
answer displays in red. Why won't the ICW recognize my answer as correct?
A: There are a couple of things that may cause this to happen:
- Verify that you have italicized only the text that needs to be italicized.
For example, italicize punctuation that falls within italicized
material but do not italicize punctuation that follows italicized material
[examples: <I>XYZ, Ltd. v. A.B.C. Corp.</I>, 000 Rptr. 000
(court date), <I>aff'd</I>, 000 Rptr. 000
and Writing Professor, <I>Effective Teaching: Is Your Approach Working?
Analysis, Critique, and Technique</I>, 00 L. Rev. 000 (year)].
- Verify that you have highlighted and italicized each block of text once rather than
highlighting and italicizing each word or phrase within the block - additional italics
tags may cause the ICW to read your answer incorrectly. For example, for the case name
"Smith v. Jones," you would begin highlighting with "Smith" and end
with "Jones" before clicking the Italic button [so that the text in
the Solution textbox appears as: <I>Smith v.
Jones</I>]. If you italicize "Smith," "v.," and
"Jones" separately [the text in the Solution textbox
appearing as: <I>Smith</I> <I>v.</I> <I>Jones</I>],
the ICW may read your answer as incorrect.
Q: My answer is displayed all in blue, but the ICW tells me that it's not
correct. If it's wrong, why is it all blue?
A: This happens when the portions of the answer that you have included are correct but
when you have omitted part of the answer. Review the problem and your answer to
determine what should be added to reach the correct solution.
Q: There's no textbox to type in or I can type but can't italicize, use symbols, submit or preview answers.
A: This means either:
- that you don't have the current version of the Flash Player plug-in installed or
- that the plug-in didn't load completely or has stopped running.
a link on the ICW home page to download the Flash Player plug-in. If
you've previously done the exercises without problems, then close all
browsers windows and open a single window. Clean the browser's cache
and access the assigned exercise.
Q: How can I change an email address that I entered?
A: Each time that you access ICW, you'll see a confirmation screen where you can correct the email
Q: My professor doesn't want to receive the email results? What can I do?
Enter your email address or an alternate personal email address in the
"primary professor" field. Two email addresses are required, but they
don't have to be different.
Q: I think the ICW is malfunctioning. How do I report this?
A: If you've read this page and the instructions page and not solved the problem you're experiencing, contact the LexisNexis ICW Web Team and include the following information:
- the computer operating system (Windows or Macintosh) and the version
- the browser you are using (e.g., Internet Explorer)
- the version of browser you are using (e.g., 6.0)
- whether the problem occurred on your personal computer or a computer which other students are also using to do ICW exercises
- the exercise in which you experienced a problem
- the question number on which you experienced a problem
- the specific problem you experienced
You will receive an email response and may be requested to provide:
- a copy of your email results if you completed the exercise
- a file of the web page on which you experienced the problem, if you were able to save
the web page as a file