Chicago To Double Amount of Electricity Obtained From Illinois Wind Farms

On July 9, 2013, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced that the City of Chicago had taken steps to reduce its carbon footprint by negotiating an agreement pursuant to which the City will obtain at least 5% of its electricity from Illinois wind farms. The remaining 95% of electricity will be supplied by...

Department of the Interior Conducts Second Offshore Wind Auction

On September 4, 2013, the Interior Department’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (“BOEM”) held its public auction of the first federal lease for an offshore wind energy site off the Mid-Atlantic coast. This was the second federal lease sale; the first was in July for two lease areas...

Ruling: Wind Turbine Approvals Comply With The Charter

The Environmental Review Tribunal has approved another wind farm, in Bovaird v. Director, Ministry of the Environment , Case Nos.: 13-070 to 13-075. The Dufferin Wind Power Project , in the Township of Melancthon, County of Dufferin, is now approved to build 49 wind turbines with the capacity to generate...

Contrary Legal Winds at Cape Wind - Opponents of Offshore Wind Sue Asserting Preemption

By J. Wylie Donald Would you care to hazard a guess at how long it takes to bring online an offshore wind farm in the United States? At the moment, it is 12+ years and counting. A recent court filing arguing constitutional questions is certain to slow it down some more. In 2001 Cape Wind...

Another Anti-Wind Power Appeal Dismissed

Ontario’s Environmental Review Tribunal (ERT) has dismissed another anti-wind power appeal: May 14, 2014, Pitt v. MOE ERT Registry Number: 13-121. The Wainfleet Wind Energy Project can now proceed, despite objections from a skydiving club. The ERT ruled that the club had not shown that the turbines...