Boxing Champ Carlos Molina Faces Second Deportation

Boxing Champ Carlos Molina Faces Second Deportation

"Carlos Molina has more to worry about than losing a chance to retain his title. His freedom and his chances of remaining in the United States are at stake.

On Friday, the IBF junior middleweight champion remained incarcerated in the Clark County Detention Center after immigration officials discovered that Molina had been deported in 2006 and re-entered the country illegally. Molina, who is 22-5-2 with six knockouts, was scheduled to defend his title Saturday against Jermall Charlo at the MGM Grand Garden on the undercard of the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo main event.

The Molina-Charlo fight was canceled Friday morning after an unsuccessful attempt to resolve Molina’s legal issues in time for him to make the afternoon weigh-in.

“It’s a mess,” said Leon Margules, Molina’s promoter. “He was going to be released, but then they re-held him after finding out that he had been in the country illegally.”

In a statement, Immigration and Customs Enforcement said of Molina’s status: “ICE placed a detainer on Mr. Molina following his arrest by local authorities. He was previously removed from the U.S. in 2006 per an order by an immigration judge. Once remanded to ICE custody, Mr. Molina’s case will be processed according to applicable law and standard agency procedures.”

According to Margules, Molina, 30, who was born in Patzcuaro, Mexico, was at one time a permanent resident of the United States. However, an incident 13 years ago ultimately changed his status." - Las Vegas Review-Journal, Mar. 7, 2014.