WILLIAM A. RUSKIN is a Member of EpsteinBeckerGreen in the Litigation, Real Estate, and Health Care and Life Sciences practices in the firm's New York office. For more than 25 years, Mr. Ruskin has represented chemical manufacturers nationally in matters involving the defense of products liability, toxic tort and environmental actions involving claims of serious injury and damage to persons and property.
Mr. Ruskin has received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Pharmaceuticals / Medical Devices: Defends drug and medical device products liability cases involving silicone implants, Ephedra dietary supplements, NSAIDs, anti-seizure drugs, anti-depressants, and drugs targeted by FDA as "imminent hazards." Formerly in-house products liability counsel for CIBAGEIGY.
Industrial Chemicals: Defends toxic tort and products liability cases involving construction and pipe chemicals, lead paint, epoxies and resins, polymers, coatings, urethanes, molding compounds, and UV stabilizers.
Oil and Gas Industry: Represents oil companies in the defense of (1) property damage claims arising from leaking underground storage tanks and oil pipelines and (2) personal injury claims arising from alleged benzene exposure.
Agricultural Chemicals: Defends toxic tort litigations involving pesticides in residential and commercial settings and crop damage claims by growers as a result of alleged herbicide phytotoxcity or lack of efficacy.
Asbestos: Serves as national coordinating counsel for a chemical manufacturer in the defense of its premises liability asbestos cases.
Construction Industry: Represents manufacturers of products used at construction sites, including skid loaders, propane heaters, scaffolding and safety equipment, and contractors in mold remediation disputes.
Real Estate: Assists real estate and business lawyers in addressing the three environmental liability questions that arise in every real estate and business transaction: Is there a significant environmental problem? Can we estimate the cost? Can we resolve the problem? Experienced in evaluating potential environmental risks and managing environmental liabilities involving Brownsfields, commercial development and residential construction.
• Obtained judgment and declaratory relief in federal district court in New Jersey on CERCLA and Spill Act claims following three month trial in 2009.
• Defense of New York putative consumer class action involving androstendione and norandrostendione supplements (the "Andro" litigation).
• Defense of Louisiana putative class action alleging homeowner exposure to Normally Occurring Radioactive Material as a result of oil pipe yard cleaning operations.
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of acrylic plastic manufacturer in Happyland Social Club Fire Litigation involving 87 wrongful death claims.
• Trial of toxic tort case in federal court in Mississippi arising from sale of former chemical manufacturing facility involving fear of cancer and increased risk of disease claims.
• Coordinated the national defense of products liability cases involving pharmaceutical drug banned by the FDA as an "imminent hazard."
• Successful prosecution and defense of environmental cost recovery actions brought pursuant to state and federal statutes in courts throughout the United States.
• Successful defense of CERCLA and contractual claims in federal district court in Wisconsin involving corporate veil piercing and corporate successorship issues.
• Developed Value Protection Programs to resolve mass tort homeowner diminution of property value claims on behalf of a chemical manufacturer (Mississippi) and an oil pipeline company (Ohio).
• Settled through mediation toxic tort case brought by 42 homeowner plaintiffs alleging toxic air emissions against a polymer manufacturer labeled by Attorney General Blumenthal as "worst polluter in the history of Connecticut."
• Extensive declaratory judgment litigation in multiple jurisdictions involving insurance coverage under specialized environmental impairment policies.
Mr. Ruskin is a frequent speaker on products liability, toxic tort and litigation management issues and is the author of numerous published articles. He is also the author of EpsteinBeckerGreen's Toxic Tort Litigation Blog. Mr. Ruskin has commented on important products liability and toxic tort developments on NPR's Marketplace and on "The Verdict," a Canadian national television news program, and has been quoted in BusinessWeek, Financial Times, Product/Liability Law360, and other publications. He is a certified mediator for the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York and mediates disputes in that court on a pro bono basis.
Mr. Ruskin serves on the Board of the New York League of Conservation Voters Education Fund, a not-for-profit organization that informs the public on environmental issues. He is also a member of the Board of the Connecticut League of Conservation Voters Education Fund.
LitigationDrug and Medical Device LitigationEnvironmental LitigationInsurance Coverage And Reinsurance DisputesProducts LiabilityToxic TortReal EstateEnvironmentalHealth Care and Life SciencesEnvironmental Law
J.D., Cornell University Law School, 1977B.A., Cornell University, 1974
ConnecticutDistrict of ColumbiaNew York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third CircuitU.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth CircuitU.S. District Court, District of ConnecticutU.S. District Court, Eastern District of New YorkU.S. District Court, Eastern District of WisconsinU.S. District Court, Northern District of New YorkU.S. District Court, Southern District of New YorkU.S. District Court, Western District of New York
American Bar AssociationAmerican Health Lawyers AssociationDefense Research InstituteInternational Association of Defense CounselMartindale-Hubbell (A/V Rating)New York State Bar Association
William A. Ruskinwruskin@ebglaw.comNew York OfficePhone: 212/351-4740Fax: 212/878-8740250 Park AvenueNew York, New York 10177-1211