LexisNexis Opt-Out Policy for KnowX® and Accurint®
Individuals may opt-out of having personal information about themselves made available through KnowX® and Accurint®, in accordance with legal requirements or if permitted by LexisNexis policy.
LexisNexis permits certain individuals to opt-out of having certain personal information about themselves made available through KnowX®, a LexisNexis product which makes public records available to the general public over the Internet.
LexisNexis also permits certain individuals to opt-out of having certain personal information about themselves made available to subscribers to our Accurint® product (other than disclosures that may be made to our law enforcement subscribers).
This opt-out policy only applies to personal information that is available through LexisNexis-owned databases. Please note opting-out of our databases will not prevent other companies or public record agencies from collecting or disseminating your personal information.
- The bases under which LexisNexis policy allows such an opt-out – in addition to any opt-outs required by law – are the following: Public and elected officials, including law enforcement officers, may request to opt-out in cases where the official is on a high-profile assignment, or under threat of death or serious bodily harm or in cases where opt-out opportunities are required by law.
- Private individuals who are facing a substantial risk of physical harm or who are victims of identity theft may request to opt-out of having personal information about themselves made available through KnowX® and having personal information about themselves made available to subscribers to our Accurint® product (other than disclosures that may be made to our law enforcement subscribers). Individuals who request to opt-out for these reasons may submit their requests online or by mail.
Documentation Required for Opt-Out Request
Each opt-out request must include documentation substantiating the risk of physical harm or the individual's status as an identity theft victim or as a person otherwise meeting the above criteria. LexisNexis reserves the right to determine in its sole reasonable discretion what documentation meets the above criteria. If your opt-out request is not approved we will promptly inform you about that determination.
- If you are a law enforcement officer or public official, submit a letter from your supervisor stating that your position exposes you to a threat of death or serious bodily harm; or
- If you are a victim of identity theft, submit a copy of a police report documenting the identity theft or documentation that verifies the identity theft claim such as a letter from your credit card company, and an Identity Theft Affidavit; or
- If you are at risk of physical harm but do not work in law enforcement, submit a copy of a court protective order, a copy of a police report or similar documentation such as a letter from a social worker, a shelter administrator or a health care professional
All opt-out requests may be submitted using the online form at the link below. If the supporting documentation cannot be uploaded, individuals may submit their requests online, but also must email or mail the supporting documents to this address:
PO Box 933
Dayton, OH 45401
CLICK HERE to submit your opt-out request as set forth above.
PLEASE NOTE: Information submitted to LexisNexis as part of a request to opt-out as set forth in this policy will be used solely in fulfilling the request and for no other purposes. Please also note that implementation of an opt-out request will require a reasonable amount of time. Our services process a high volume of new data inputs every month. If after implementation of an opt-out request for you, we inadvertently include any data about you in a manner inconsistent with the above policy, please contact us promptly by email at email@example.com so that we can investigate and address what has occurred.
Updated July 28, 2011.