Shepard's® on the LexisNexis® services at lexis.com® brings you easy-to-use tools for faster, more comprehensive research.
- Shepardize® a Headnote! Link directly to discussions in citing cases from your LexisNexis Headnotes. Faster, more relevant research is easier than ever.
- Shepard's Signal: View the treatment of your case at a glance. Use the new Pop-up Signal Legend for signal information.
- Warning - Negative treatment is indicated
- Questioned - Validity questioned by citing refs
- Caution - Possible negative treatment
- Positive treatment is indicated
- Citing refs with analysis available
- Citation information available
- Shepard's Table of Authorities: How strong is the foundation of your case? Uncover hidden weaknesses in seconds with an at-a-glance list of the cases cited within your case. Each citing reference is clearly marked with a Shepard's Signal so you know up front how the underpinning cases have been treated.
- FOCUS: Pinpoints citing references that discuss specific facts or points of law relevant to your particular issue or fact pattern - in seconds!
- Choose from two report formats:
- Shepard's for Research: The "FULL" format includes the new Shepard’s summary and is a great way to start your research with all the cases, secondary sources, statutes, and annotations that cite your authority.
- Shepard's for Validation: Use this “KWIC” formats for a list of only those citations that determine if your case is still good law.
- Shepard's Summary: Available in the FULL/unrestricted format, brings the most important aspects of your Shepard's Report to the top of the page.
- Shepard's Navigation Bar: Quickly navigate throughout your report to specific analysis phrases, jurisdictions or secondary sources.
- Pop-up Analysis Definitions: Get definitions for analysis phrases in one click.
- Shepard's Trail: Navigate with ease between unrestricted, restricted and FOCUS answer sets.
With 130+ years of time-tested editorial analysis, Shepard's Citations Service is relied on for its accuracy and timeliness. See for yourself: Take A Tour today!