Jury Verdict Round-Up: Year-to-Date Top 10 Employment Verdicts
During the first half of 2016, the attorney editors on the LexisNexis Jury Verdict team covered several notable employment verdicts from across the country. Even though the year is far from over, we have made a list of the top ten cases that have captured our attention so far.
If you are interested in submitting one of your own notable verdicts, employment-related or otherwise, just sign up through the Litigators’ Verdict & Settlement Exchange entry page: http://www.lexisnexis.com/jvsubmission/ . It’s easy, it’s fun, and it’s free. Plus, when you register and submit your own cases, you earn points to view other attorneys’ case submissions and court filings.
Our choices are listed out below.
1) Jury Awards $ 7.3 Million To Former Legal And International Affairs Head Of Various Yoga Entities In Her California State Discrimination, Retaliation, And Sexual Harassment Action. Minakshi Jafa-Bodden v. Bikram Choudhury, individually and as President of Bikram Choudhury Yoga Inc., Chairman and CEO of Bikram's Yoga College of India, LP and as President of Bikram, Inc.; Rajashree Choudhury, individually and as President of USA Yoga Federation, Vice President of Bikram's Yoga College of India, L.P. and as Vice President of Bikram, Inc.; Bikram's Yoga College of India L.P.; Bikram, Inc.; USA Yoga Federation; Bikram Choudhury Yoga, Inc.; Petra Starke, individually and as President of Bikram's Yoga College of India, and Does 1 through 50, inclusive; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 401
2) New Hampshire Federal Jury Awards $ 31.2 Million To Wal-Mart Pharmacist In Her Action For Gender Discrimination And Wrongful Termination. Maureen McPadden v. Wal-Mart Stores East, L.P. and Jennifer Fonseca; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 391
3) Alabama Federal Jury Awards $ 10.6 Million Verdict For Train Conductor On Employment Disability Discrimination Claim; Court Vacates Judgment On Verdict Based on Statutory Damage Caps. Warren Whitted v. Norfolk Southern Railway Company, Inc; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 760
4) Connecticut Federal Jury Awards Two Workers $ 3,422,074 In Hostile Work Environment, Racial Discrimination Suit Against Painting Company And Staff Members. Yosif Bakhit and Kiyada Miles v. Safety Marketing, Inc.; Mark Kelly; Ray Vezina; Phil Brininger; James Cody; Jeff Perra; Tom Hanrahan; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 2016
5) California State Judge Awards $ 1,742,690.94 To Dental Assistant In Her Action Against Dentist And His Practice For Sexual Harassment And Failure To Properly Pay Wages And Overtime. Juddy Olivares, an individual, v. Sam Dason, an individual; Sam Daniel Dason, DDS, a Professional Dental Corporation, a California corporation doing business as Colton Dental Group; and Does 1 through 100, inclusive; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 1902
6) Jury Awards $ 2,101,969 To Former Detective On Her California State FEHA Retaliation Claim In Action Alleging Disability Discrimination, Harassment, And Retaliation. Maria Elena Montoya v. City of Los Angeles, a municipal corporation; The Los Angeles Police Department, a government entity; and Does 1 through 100, inclusive; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 3537
7) North Carolina Federal Jury Awards $ 4,063,942 In First Amendment Action After Police Officers Were Terminated Allegedly Because They Reported Corruption Within Department. Kenneth L. Hunter, Rick A. Donathan, and Jerry D. Medlin v. Town of Mocksville, North Carolina; Robert W. Cook, in his official capacity as Administrative Chief of Police of the Mocksville Police Department and in his individual capacity; Christine W. Bralley, in her official capacity as Town Manager of the Town of Mocksville and in her individual capacity; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 3076
8) Rhode Island Federal Jury Awards Female Firefigher $ 806,000 In Gender Harassment And Retaliation Suit Against City. Lori Franchina v. City of Providence; Providence Fire Department; Providence Firefighters IAFF Local 799; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 2633
9) Judge Awards $ 1,882,217 To Teacher With Asthma Who Complained Of Classroom Mold In New Jersey State Action Alleging Disability Discrimination And Violation Of Whistleblower Law. Alsina, Mary Jean v. Millburn Township Board of Education; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 2918
10) California State Jury Awards $ 3.5 Million To Four Sacramento Female Deputies Allegedly Retaliated Against For Complaining Of Discrimination. Annica Hagadorn, Tracie Keillor, Jodi Mendonca and Dawn Douglas, as individual employees, v. County of Sacramento and Sacramento County Sheriff's Department; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 3701
For all your jury verdict and settlement needs, please visit the LexisNexis Jury Verdicts and Settlements on Lexis Advance® and LexisNexis® Verdict & Settlement Analyzer.
For more information about LexisNexis products and solutions connect with us through our corporate site.