The National Institute of Drug Abuse puts the cost of substance abuse to our nation at $600 billion in terms of crime, lost work productivity and health care. In the workplace, drug and alcohol testing laws and regulations change constantly, while laws regulating individual drug use are evolving from state to state at an unprecedented rate. In this shifting landscape the stakes are high especially for employers with employees who may be impaired on the job but are complying with the law. Are employers between a rock and a hard place?
To provide you with a briefing on this dynamic area of law we have enlisted the expertise of two employment law attorneys with experience examining substance abuse, or use, in the workplace, and a moderator with deep experience in workers’ compensation analysis and claims industry experience. In this Webinar you will learn about:
• How courts are trending when presented with wrongful termination claims
• Recent and anticipated wrongful termination decisions and their impact on employees and employers
• The future of zero tolerance of off-the-clock marijuana use
• How employers should address state approval of a federally illegal substance
• Employer policies on prescription drugs and self-disclosure of substance abuse problems/issues
• Workers’ compensation coverage for medical uses of marijuana
• How employers should approach and review their drug use policies in light of changing laws
See CLE State Accreditation for credit details.
If you are licensed in New York, this content is appropriate for both newly admitted and experienced New York attorneys. Although, this content is appropriate for all New York attorneys, newly admitted attorneys cannot earn CLE credit for the completion of the course when presented via on-demand.