6 Feb 2019
Author : InfoPro Community Manager
Librarian Relations Consultant Research Tip: Search News on Lexis Advance to find discussion on verdicts and settlements
The news media often covers court cases, particularly the outcome involving companies or hot topical issues—whether a trial or a settlement. With a simple search in News content on the Lexis Advance service, you can find information about verdicts and settlements related to companies or specific issues.
- VERDICT OR SETTL! /5 APPLE
- VERDICT OR SETTL! /5 ASBESTOS
- VERDICT OR SETTL! /10 LIPITOR
- VERDICT OR SETTL! /10 COMPUTER /5 HACK!
- Use a larger number for the /# connector, up to 15 typically, if the company is a small one or the issue is relatively obscure.
- Consider running the search in the HLEAD segment if too much is retrieved (using “search within”).
- When using company names, be sure to use the more popular short name in the search string (Apple instead of Apple Computer, for example).
- If getting irrelevant results when using a popular company name, add "AND company full name".
- Add a court level: AND SUPERIOR COURT.
- Add SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT as a “search within” to find any discussion of such agreements.