Boolean Search Tips:
- Connector priority: The Nexis Newsdesk service reads your Boolean search left to right. In other words, unlike the Lexis Advance® service, there is no connector priority.
- Use parentheses, especially around alternative words (OR). Because there is no connector priority, you should always enclose the alternative words (when using the OR) in parentheses.
surveillance NEAR/5 (drone OR “unmanned aerial vehicle” OR uav)
Without the parentheses, Nexis Newsdesk would see this as three searches: first, the surveillance NEAR/5 drone, then the phrase “unmanned aerial vehicle” on its own, and finally uav on its own. This could skew your results in a potentially significant way.
- Increase the likelihood of an article being about a topic by ensuring your search term or phrase appears a certain number of times. Use the MULTIPLE/# command to ensure this (analogous to the atleast command in the Lexis Advance service).
MULTIPLE/10:chocolate surveillance NEAR/5 (drone OR “unmanned aerial vehicle” OR uav) AND MULTIPLE/3:privacy
- Create a feed and newsletter of just one (or just a few) specific sources. This delivers all articles from the one or the group of specified sources. Using the Boolean search tab, follow these steps.
- Leaving the search box blank, and making sure the source(s) you want are covered by your media types (online news and print, generally), click More filters.
- Click the Sources tab, and type the name of the publication into the Search box in the filter.
- Click on the version(s) of that publication from the resulting list and you’ll see they appear to the right. The LexisNexis licensed version will have the LexisNexis Knowledge Burst logo.
- Save the results and create a new newsletter.
Results Screen Tips:
- Take full advantage of your results pages. When a search retrieves more than 200 documents, you are not seeing 200 on the first page of results; check your settings by using the drop-down menu under your name in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Print or download a page of results one of two ways.
- Click the selection box at the top of the results page to Select all articles on page, then click the More link and make your selection. Note: choosing full text will only include full text of LexisNexis licensed articles.
- A simple approach is to use your browser functions to easily print or save as a PDF file the first page of your results
(or any subsequent pages).