Jury Verdict Roundup: Top 10 Product Liability Cases Submitted In 2016
Last year, hundreds of attorneys across the nation submitted cases to be included in the LexisNexis Jury Verdict and Settlement database. Some of the cases were submitted directly here at the Litigators’ Verdict & Settlement Exchange. Other cases were submitted to the Jury Verdict editorial team’s general submission mailbox at email@example.com. The remaining cases were directly emailed to one of the attorneys on our staff, either in response to a request from us or simply because the submitting law firm had previously sent cases to us in the past.
Recently, we had an opportunity to go back and revisit some of the more notable case submissions from 2016. We thought we would share our list of the verdicts in each area of law that we found most interesting. We started last week with a listing of the Top 10 Medical Malpractice cases located here . This week, we continue with a listing of the Top 10 Product Liability cases submitted to us.
If you are interested in submitting one of your own notable verdicts, just sign up through the Litigators’ Verdict & Settlement Exchange entry page: http://www.lexisnexis.com/jvsubmission/ . Plus, when you register and submit your own cases, you earn points to view other attorneys’ case submissions and court filings. It’s easy, it’s fun, and it’s free.
Our choices are listed out below.
1) California State Jury Awards $ 9.8 Million Compensatory And $ 70 Million Punitive Damages Against Manufacturer Of Allegedly Defective Hemorrhoid Stapler. Florence Kuhlmann and John Perkins v. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, LLC, Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Systems, Inc., and Rakhee Shah, M.D; 2015 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 12041
2) Washington State Jury Finds In Favor Of Aircraft Engine Manufacturer In Product Liability Suit Filed By Pilot And Family Members Who Were Injured, Killed When Plane Crashed Into Building Shortly After Takeoff. Stacie Cavner and Preston Cavner, husband and wife, and parents of H.C. and M.C., minors; Rachel Zientek; Tammy Zientek and Michael Zientek, husband and wife, and parents of Rachel Zientek; The Estate of Myles Cavner, by its Personal Representative Carolann O'Brien Stori; Carolann O'Brien Storli, as Litigation Guardian ad Litem for H.C., a minor v. Continental Motors, Inc., a foreign corporation; Northwest Seaplanes, Inc., a Washington corporation; Ace Aviation, Inc., a Washington corporation; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 2699
3) Florida State Jury Renders Defense Verdict In Product Liability Action After Motor Vehicle Crash And Injuries Allegedly Caused By Defective Michelin Tire And Takata Seatbelt. Stevette Dukes, as Plenary Guardian of the Property of Kiara Shanise Dukes, an Incapacitated Person, Latoya Dukes, and Brandon Ellis v. Michelin North America, Inc.; Takata Corporation; TK Holdings, Inc.; Bob Steele Chevrolet, Inc.; One Stop Tire Shop; and 1 Stop Tire Shop, Inc; 2013 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 12801
4) Pennsylvania State Jury Awards $ 70 Million To Adolescent Boy Who Developed Female Breasts After Taking Risperdal, An Anti-Psychotic Drug Sold By Johnson & Johnson. A.Y. and Billie Ann Yount v. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Johnson & Johnson Company, and Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, LLC; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 4652
5) California State Judge Grants Pain Pump Manufacturer's Motion For Nonsuit Mid-Trial In Strict Liability, Negligence Suit Filed By Surgical Patient Who Claimed He Developed Chondrolysis From Pain Pump Use. William Stovall v. Breg, Inc; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 1235
6) Estate Of Underwater Cinematographer Loses Wrongful Death Action Against Manufacturer Of Rebreather In Florida State Product Liability Action. Terri Skiles, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Wesley Skiles, Deceased v. Lamartek, Inc., d/b/a Dive Rite, et al.; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 3996
7) Missouri State Jury Awards $ 55 Million To Talc Feminine Hygiene User Who Developed Ovarian Cancer In Her Product Liability Suit Against Hygiene Product Manufacturers. Gloria Ristesund v. Johnson & Johnson; Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc.; Imerys Talc America, Inc. f/k/a Luzenac America, Inc; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 8148
8) New Jersey State Judge Grants Summary Judgment To Johnson And Johnson In Talc-Ovarian Cancer Litigation After Excluding Two Of Plaintiffs' Experts. Brandi Carl v. Johnson & Johnson and Imerys Talc America, Inc.; Diana Balderrama v. Johnson & Johnson and Imerys Talc America, Inc. (Talc-Based Powder Products Litigation); 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 6768
9) Pennsylvania State Jury Awards $ 13.5 Million In Product Liability Action Brought By Woman Implanted With Tension Free Vaginal Tape. Sharon Carlino and Charles Carlino v. Ethicon, Inc. and Johnson & Johnson; 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 841
10) Louisiana State Jury Awards $ 15.45 Million In First Trial Brought By Four Contract Workers At Chemical Plant Who Suffered Injuries Running From Explosion. In Second Trial, Four More Workers Recover $ 16.12 Million. Paul Thompson, et al. v. Williams Companies, Inc., et al. (Thomas, Devall, Elizondo and Dantone Verdict); 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 8388; Paul Thompson, et al. v. Williams Companies, Inc., et al. (Cotton, Thompson, Sowell and Kelley Verdict); 2016 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 9012
For all your jury verdict and settlement needs, please visit the LexisNexis Jury Verdicts and Settlements on Lexis Advance® and LexisNexis® Verdict & Settlement Analyzer.
For more information about LexisNexis products and solutions connect with us through our corporate site.