Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Changing Billing Party Indiscriminately on a Matter

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 32
Hassan Maje Posted: Thu, Jan 20 2011 2:26 AM

We run into the following situations from time to time:

On a matter we raise a (first) bill to a different billing address (the client name remains the same). In the Matter Manager on the Billing Address tab I check off "Send Bills to Alternate Address". This is fine. Moving forward a second bill is raised. Lawyer says that this time the bill should be sent to another party. I can go to the Matter Manager and change the Billing name and address under the Billing Address tab and then go and recreate the bill. That will work but the original (first) bill will also read the most current billing party although the first bill did not actually go out to this new party.

What is the correct thing to do in such a situation? The Bill would have Fee + Disbs entries and also Trust entries.

Hassan Maje Anjarwalla & Khanna PCLawPro Ver 9.10d, Accounting Method: Accruals
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 213
.CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

This is an issue that we resolve quite often and is related to using the correct Bill Template.

In Matter Manager on the Main Tab there are 3 Address Tabs: Client, Billing and 2nd Billing.

If there are 3 different addresses you want to attach to the Matter, you can create 3 different Bill Templates, which will use either Client Address, BillingAddress1 or BillingAddress2. You can even have a template with 2 or 3 different addresses on the same bill and use a Formula token to split the amount due from each.

Then select the correct bill template to use for the particular intended recipient(s) and you are good to go.

Steve Miller, JD
Certified Independent Consultant

LexisNexis: Total Practice Advantage® | PCLaw® | Time Matters Enterprise®
Philadelphia PA Metro area and SNJ
www.lawbill.com
"Home of Free Online Training"

steve@lawbill.com
609-313-0988

Twitter: LawBill

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
.CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Hassan,

Creating the bill in PDF would maintain the original billing party.  I'm not sure if you are using the Document Manager, but there is a setting on the Billing Tab in System Settings to always generate a PDF and then attach that to the Documents tab in Matter Manager.  If you wanted to see a past invoice, just go to the documents tab.

I know it doesn't address the dynamic data when recreating the bill but it may be an option for going forward.

Regards,

Cindy Emmerson, Premier CIC/Moderator Affinity Consulting Group

Ph: 727-544-5400

E-mail: cemmerson@affinityconsulting.com

Web: www.affinityconsulting.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 32

Cindy

Yes we do use the "automatic save to pdf" when creating the bills and this is useful in such cases. However I am thinking what would happen, say if we were to send Past Due Reminders and if an old invoice or more than one invoice was oustanding on a matter billed to different parties.

Where possible I insist on opening a separate matter for the client, change the billing party and transfer all Disbs/Fee & Trust entries provided the billing history has no correlation with the new party being billed. This can be cumbersome especially if the entries are old and date restricted but I do it after obtaining answers to questions such as: For whom was the recent work done...and/or is this recent work being billed distinct from the past work billed?

Thanks

Hassan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 42
.CIC
PCL CIC

Hassan,

In addition to Steve's suggestion, another option is to consider whether this will be an "ongoing" issue and if the parties will want to see independent history of fees, disb & trust.  In this situation, I have clients who create a new matter using .1 or .B at the end of the regular matter number.

This will keep the contact information and billing information out of the main file -IF that is a concern at the "end of the day" so to speak.

Nancy

P.S. I also noticed your question on Non-billable time and have answered that too  - just "fyi"

Nancy Bembridge, PCLaw CIC v.10

www.steadfast.ca

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 32

Yes, I also adopt similar numbering style with extensions "a".., or "-01" at end of the regular matter #. This keeps related matters close to each other - one below the other and I find it especially useful when looking up under "Related" tab of the Matter Manager or Pop Up Help for matters.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS