LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

"Holding" calendar dates until date is set

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 27
Dario Diaz Posted: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:15 PM

There are many times where we get multiple dates for hearings from judges.  We then have to clear those dates with other attorney's before setting the hearing.  We have the situation arise, more than I would like, where we get four (4) dates from the judge, present the dates to the other attorneys, and by the time we agree on a date, there is a conflict on MY calendar.

For example, this would be a fairly common way this would work:

1)  Today, March 16, I call the judge and ask for a hearing that is clear on the court calendar. 

2)  Let's say a judge gives me the following hearing dates: March 22 at 1:30pm; March 23 at 9:45 am; March 23 at 2:15 PM; and March 24 at 9:00 am. 

3)  I call other counsel and try to clear a date with them that is convenient on all of our calendars. 

4)  This might take a day or two.  Now, let's say that all of us agree that we will attend the March 23 at 2:15 hearing.

5)  When I go to my calendar to schedule the hearing on March 23 at 2:15 my secretary has put an appointment with a client on that day at 2:30, which obviously creates a conflict which we then have to work around.

Now, this is not her fault.  There is currently no way for me to, "hold" the dates given by the judge until cleared with other counsel and then, "clear" the unused dates.  It happens more than I would like.

I recently saw a calendar that allows you to put a, "hold" on up to five (5) separate dates on a single case.  Once the date is agreed upon the hearing is scheduled and the, "hold" is released on all of the other dates.  This was a very nice calendar feature.

I have tried all I can but can't find a way to do this in the TM calendar.  Anyone have any ideas?

Dario D. Diaz, Esquire The Law Office of Dario Diaz, P.A. Tampa, Florida: TM 10: MacBook Pro (Parallels WinXP); Small Business Server 2003

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 353
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Many possibilities. 

One is:  Enter the first date.  Preface Desc with ? mark so you know it's just penciled in.  CTRL+Y to enter additional dates quickly.  When date is agreed upon, on Case form Related tab with only Events selected (so you get the tag box), or on an Events tab that you've created, tag the ones you want to delete, Process, Delete.

Presumably the court date will get set and you will be prompted to delete the unused holds so they don't clog up your calendar.  For similar holds that aren't so sure to get handled, to enter a cut-off date so the holds fall off your calendar at some point, add a "don't hold after" date field on the Event form, and use a filter on the Event list to tag and delete the ones with a "don't hold after" date earlier than today.

Robert S. McNeill, J.D., Time Matters-Billing Matters-PCLaw CIC, Moderator

OTB Consulting-2009 and 2010 Lexis Platinum Achievement Award-Top Time Matters Producer

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 27

Nice...a bit clunky, but a viable workaround.  Will need a bit of staff training, and leaves a bit of room for error, but is a great place to start.  Thank you.  If, during my implementation, I come up with a tweak or other idea, I'll post here.

Dario D. Diaz, Esquire The Law Office of Dario Diaz, P.A. Tampa, Florida: TM 10: MacBook Pro (Parallels WinXP); Small Business Server 2003

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS