LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Finished Matters - Archiving/Billing

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Lee Grogan Posted: Fri, Jan 19 2007 10:44 PM
    We are a family law firm, and bill by the matter.  We have lots of accounts and numerous accounts with similar names, so removing matters that are completed (and paid) is a good thing.  Occasionally, we have to retrieve such matters and enter a transaction, e.g., we get a check from a client on which we wrote off a balance.  I'd like to uncheck the "billable" box on matters we archive as done so that no one can erroneously enter a billing item or a transaction.  I just don't know all the ramifications of this, although it looks like it will simply prevent access to billing preferences, prevent new transactions or billing items from being added, yet preserve for viewing all prior items and transactions.  Thoughts?
Lee Grogan Grogan & Grogan Columbus GA
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Not sure of any implications of changing the billable status as I haven't tested it but another possibility is to create a matter monitor. I have one setup such that, if I have changed the status field to closed, I will get a warning any time I open or link to a closed matter. This provides more warnings than just adding a new billing item or payment and may be an alternative method to accomplish what you are trying to achieve.
To setup a monitor go to file - setup - templates - monitors

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Not Ranked
Posts 0

I just tried it in hopes that it would enable me to finally archive my old transactions, but to no avail.

However, it seems you are correct that it probably won't change anything except for eliminating access to the billing preferences. Also, if you re-check the "billable" box, you regain access to the same billing preferences that were there before.

Samuel J. Glover & Associates, P.A. 2021 East Hennepin Avenue, Suite 195 Minneapolis, MN 55413 phone • 612.823.0584 fax • 612.605.1947 e-mail • sam@sjglover.com web • www.sjglover.com tech blog • www.solosmalltech.com
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS