LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Client Name Change Best Practice

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 10
Edward McGlone Posted: Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:46 PM

It seems that every fiscal year we have a department or division we bill change their name. What is the best way to address this, create a new contact with the new name and archive the old or simply change the name on the client contact form?

I guess my question comes down to the extent that a contact name change updates related records such as billing.  If I change the name on a client contact form does TM automatically update all billing and other records to reflect the name change or is the change reflected only in newly created records?

Thanks

Ed

Edward S. McGlone | Edward McGlone Law Offices | 503-486-7048 | emcglonelaw.com | Governmentlitigaionblog.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 41
Jwyatt replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 8:17 AM

Our practice is to make the change to the contact record.  Typically we will make a note in the memo section documenting this change.  Bills already created are saved in PDF form and can be reprinted.  Those bill copies will not be changed by any changes to client or matter.  I do suspect, however, if you went to an old billing item and called it up it would show the new info for contact name.  I think the link is always dynamic and will always reflect changes. I'd experiment to convince myself first however.

Jeff Wyatt
Abilene TX

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS