LexisNexis® CLE On-Demand features premium content from partners like American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education and Pozner & Dodd. Choose from a broad listing of topics suited for law firms, corporate legal departments, and government entities. Individual courses and subscriptions available.
By Peter S. Vogel
Privacy is a hot topic for users of Facebook, Google, and other Social Media sites, so the White House has proposed the following Bill of Rights for legislative consideration:
1. INDIVIDUAL CONTROL: Consumers have a right to exercise control over what personal data companies collect from them and how they use it.
2. TRANSPARENCY: Consumers have a right to easily understandable and accessible information about privacy and security practices.
3. RESPECT FOR CONTEXT: Consumers have a right to expect that companies will collect,use, and disclose personal data in ways that are consistent with the context in whichconsumers provide the data.
4. SECURITY: Consumers have a right to secure and responsible handling of personal data.
5. ACCESS AND ACCURACY: Consumers have a right to access and correct personal data in usable formats, in a manner that is appropriate to the sensitivity of the data and the risk of adverse consequences to consumers if the data is inaccurate.
6. FOCUSED COLLECTION: Consumers have a right to reasonable limits on the personal data that companies collect and retain.
7. ACCOUNTABILITY: Consumers have a right to have personal data handled by companies with appropriate measures in place to assure they adhere to the Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights.
In 2011 more adult Social Media users were proactive in protecting their privacy by deleting people from as friends, deleting comments from their profiles, and removing their names from photos tagged to identify them as reported from a recent Pew Research Report entitled "Privacy management on social media."
Internet Privacy will continue to great interest and concern, but since this is an election year it's difficult to know how the proposed Bill of Rights will fare on the political arena.
For more information about LexisNexis products and solutions connect with us through our corporate site.