Use this button to switch between dark and light mode.

Yemen: TPS, EADs for Yemeni F-1 Students

July 08, 2021 (1 min read)

"This notice announces that the Secretary of Homeland Security (Secretary) is suspending certain regulatory requirements for F-1 nonimmigrant students whose country of citizenship is Yemen (regardless of country of birth) and who are experiencing severe economic hardship as a direct result of the current crisis in Yemen. The Secretary is taking action to provide relief to Yemeni citizens who are lawful F-1 nonimmigrant students so the students may request employment authorization, work an increased number of hours while school is in session, and reduce their course load while continuing to maintain F-1 nonimmigrant student status. DHS will deem an F-1 nonimmigrant student who receives employment authorization by means of this notice to be engaged in a “full course of study” for the duration of the employment authorization, if the nonimmigrant student satisfies the minimum course load requirement described in this notice. DATES: This notice will be effective on September 4, 2021 and will remain in effect through March 3, 2023."

"Through this Notice, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announces that the Secretary of Homeland Security (Secretary) is extending the designation of Yemen for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for 18 months, from September 4, 2021, through March 3, 2023, and redesignating Yemen for 18 months, effective September 4, 2021, through March 3, 2023. The extension allows currently eligible TPS beneficiaries to retain TPS through March 3, 2023, so long as they otherwise continue to meet the eligibility requirements for TPS. The redesignation of Yemen allows additional individuals who have been continuously residing in the United States since July 5, 2021, to obtain TPS, if otherwise eligible. Through this Notice, DHS also sets forth procedures necessary for Yemeni nationals (or individuals having no nationality who last habitually resided in Yemen) either to submit an initial registration application under the redesignation and apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or, if they already have TPS, to re-register under the extension and to apply for renewal of their EADs with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)."