Alina Hernandez, Tulane University, Dec. 5, 2023
"A new report co-authored by Tulane Law’s Immigrant Rights Clinic shows that more than 100,000 abused or abandoned immigrant youths are in...
Bipartisan Policy Center, Dec. 5, 2023
"In this week’s episode, BPC host Jack Malde chats with four distinguished immigration scholars at Cornell Law School on their new white paper “Immigration...
"Immigration Enforcement Mechanisms at the U.S. Southwest Border: The Only Constant is Change
2 PM EST ... Register HERE
This webinar is designed to offer up-to-date information on enforcement...
William H. Frey, Nov. 29, 2023
"Immigration has become one of the nation’s most contentious political issues. Yet there has been less public attention paid to broader immigration policy than...
The current federal Immigration and Nationality Act is based on a bill passed by Congress in 1952. But did you know that President Harry Truman vetoed the bill? Congress overrode his veto. Here is his...
UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES Committee on Homeland Security MAJORITY STAFF REPORT September 21, 2020
"OVERSIGHT FAILURES: DHS Oversight of ICE Detention Facilities Fails to Effectively Identify and Correct Deficient Conditions
1. Oversight programs are too broad, too infrequent, and preannounced;
2. ICE’s contractor is ill-equipped to conduct inspections in a manner that successfully identify deficiencies;
3. DHS has few mechanisms to enforce corrections and rarely uses those mechanisms; and
4. ICE contracts with detention facilities that are poorly equipped to meet the agency’s own detention standards.
DEFICIENCIES AT ICE FACILITIES: ICE Facilities Are Generally Clean, But Frequently Fail to Meet Basic Standards of Care
1. With some egregious exceptions, the facilities visited by the Committee were generally clean; 2. ICE detainees frequently face deficient medical, dental, and mental health care; 3. Detention facilities often misuse and abuse segregation; and 4. Detainees face challenges accessing legal services, case information, and interpreter/translation services."