21 Oct 2020
Author : InfoPro Community Manager
LexisNexis® Competitive Intelligence Toolkit
LexisNexis® Competitive Intelligence Toolkit
The Competitive Intelligence (CI) Toolkit is designed to help you complete your CI research more efficiently as it relates to the LexisNexis® products you have access to. The kit includes helpful checklists for the most common CI use cases that include recommended LexisNexis products, sources, sample searches and tips to help you maximize your available resources. We recognize that a variety of resources are used for CI research, including the open web, social media, etc. This toolkit specifically includes LexisNexis products that legal professionals use for CI research purposes. Depending on the CI request and the LexisNexis products you subscribe to, portions of or all of the research suggestions in this checklist may be applicable.
Thank you to the many law librarians and CI specialists who reviewed and shared feedback and guidance informing the content and format for this toolkit.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- Product Table
- CI Checklists:
• Law Firm
• Private Companies
• Public Companies
- Product Descriptions and Resources Index
a list of products with brief descriptions and links to product support and training pages and/or user guides
1. PRODUCT TABLE:
2. CI CHECKLISTS:
• Law Firm
• Private Companies
• Public Companies
3. PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS AND RESOURCE INDEX.
- Context: a unique case law language analytics solution for litigators and business development professionals that is only available on the Lexis Advance service. It leverages machine learning and natural language processing to extract language-based analytical insights to assist attorneys and other legal professionals with their tasks. Gain insight into competing firms representing litigants, into the language of judges in those cases, and into the challenges to experts’ testimony.
- Context Modules:
- Company Analytics
- Expert Analytics
- Judge Analytics
- Court Analytics
- Using Company Analytics:
- Better understand current and potential clients based on their litigation history, financial data and news coverage.
- Easily create a list of prospective companies with useful search parameters.
Context Quick Reference Guide
- CourtLink®: the leading online authority for searching, profiling, tracking, alerting and retrieving U.S. federal and state court dockets and documents. With access to more than 1,250 state courts online, the CourtLink service has the legal industry’s largest and most detailed collection of court dockets and documents. Ability to create CourtLink® Strategic Profiles of litigants, law firms, attorneys and judges.
Lexis Advance CourtLink Support & Training
- Nexis Diligence™: an easy-to-use web-based interface featuring global, business and legal news, U.S. public records and regulatory content that helps users significantly reduce the time and expense of conducting due diligence. The product helps customers mitigate their operational, financial, legal and reputational risk, while effectively evaluating and monitoring existing and potential business partners, clients, suppliers, grant applicants, acquisition targets and other third-party entities. Diligence also links to LexisNexis SmartLink® Business Reports and People Reports which simplifies public record business research by combining more than 13,000 sources of business, commercial and consumer data.
- Conduct your due diligence with a Person Check or Company Check.
- Research premium business intelligence with millions of public and private company profiles, in-depth country risk analysis reports, news, biographical sources and legal sources.
Nexis Diligence Support & Training
- Nexis® Dossier: a searchable reporting tool that provides in-depth information on 240M+ companies, 75M executives and 1,000 industries, including many smaller, private companies customers have been asking for. With one search, users receive a comprehensive report about existing and prospective clients, business partners, vendors and competitors.
- Locate information on executives.
- Create lists of companies or executives via easy-to-use templates.
- Set up alerts on companies and executives.
Nexis Dossier Support & Training
- Intelligize®: the premier product for securities/M&A attorneys offering the ability to analyze, benchmark and identify precedent via sophisticated searching of SEC documents.
- Conduct targeted and granular searches within SEC filings to efficiently locate specific language.
- Quickly compare multiple filings over time with redlining capabilities.
- Locate on-point precedent.
- View topics commented on by SEC examiners.
- Identify “What’s Market” for disclosure topics.
- Assess industry reporting trends on disclosure topics.
Intelligize Support & Training
- Law360®: provides breaking news and intelligence covering litigation, policy developments, corporate deals and more across dozens of practice areas, industries and jurisdictions.
- Track legal activity to identify new business opportunities.
- Subscribe to specialized practice area and geographic newsletters.
Law360 resource page
- Lex Machina®: provides legal analytics that help law firms craft successful strategies, win cases and close business.
- Mine litigation data, revealing insights never before available about judges, lawyers, parties and the subjects of the cases themselves.
- Discover industry trends through analysis of litigation behavior of specific parties or entire party groups.
- Assess firm experience and identify strategic advantages with the venue, judge and similar parties.
- Review client lists for conflicts of interest.
Lexis Machina Resource Page
- Lexis: a comprehensive and easy-to-use legal research system. Lexis Advance helps legal professionals find, review, analyze, save, annotate and share results for case law, legislation, agency materials, public records, premier (and exclusive) secondary materials news, legal news, company and financial information and much more.
Lexis Support & Training
- LexisNexis® Litigation Profile Suite: an Early Case Assessment (ECA) tool that delivers comprehensive quantitative and qualitative information to reveal facts, behaviors and biases about expert witnesses, judges and attorneys to help you refine case strategy, manage client expectations and improve litigation outcomes. Information is available on 2M+ attorneys, 300,000+ experts and 48,000 judges.
Retrieve profiles on:
- Expert Witnesses
Lexis Litigation Profile Suite Support & Training
- MLex®: a news service focused on global regulatory developments. The MLex service provides access to an unparalleled global network of experts, including many former regulators and legal practitioners, who provide insight, commentary and analysis not available from other media outlets. The MLex market intelligence resource provides exclusive analysis and insight on the development of regulatory policy, enforcement and litigation.
- Read by partners at top law firms, in-house counsel at large global corporations and regulators around the world.
- Case files allow users to uncover details about ongoing and past investigations in the U.S. and abroad.
MLex for Law Firms Page
- Nexis Newsdesk™: a media monitoring solution that mines and analyzes vast amounts of information, delivering highly relevant and customized intelligence to each stakeholder within the firm/agency/organization—giving them a distinct knowledge advantage. The Nexis Newsdesk service provides comprehensive global news and social media coverage (from the past 100 days), including LexisNexis licensed news sources and thousands of web news, blogs and other sources from 200+ countries, available in 90+ languages.
- 4M+ articles are added daily.
- Monitor companies, law firms, industries, attorneys and other people or subjects of interest to your competitive intelligence research.
- Research fast with simple search or use more complex Boolean searches.
- Share insights through newsletters within your firm.
- Spot trends in coverage easily through analytics.
Nexis Newsdesk Support & Training
- LexisNexis® Public Records: comprehensive collection of 84B+ public records that reveals unexpected connections between people, places and property.
LexisNexis Pubic Records site
- Lexis® Securities Mosaic: a content and research tool designed specifically for securities and transactional firms and features an array of rich, highly searchable databases on financial, compliance and other business data resources, including: SEC filing data and law firm memos; robust query and analysis tools; and a suite of electronically delivered news publications that help keep users in the know.
- Offers a broad and deep collection of federal agency content attorneys rely on.
- Compare SEC filing excerpts.
- Gain market insights through transactional content.
- Track federal agency changes to laws, rules, implementations and enforcement.
Lexis Securities Mosaic Support & Training
- SmartLinx®: a powerful investigative tool that helps users establish connections between people, businesses and locations. A single search combs through billions of public records, enabling users to verify identifiers (e.g., addresses, dates of birth, corporate filing status) and determine if any red flags (e.g., bankruptcies, liens, judgments) could indicate financial or operational risk.
- Find information on businesses/law firms (large and small).
- Find information on individuals.
LexisNexis Risk Solutions Training Center
- State Net®: the premier online legislative and regulatory intelligence and tracking application for the 50 states and Congress. The State Net service allows users to monitor and manage pending legislative and regulatory activity to assess the impact on their organization, influence proposed matters, prepare for upcoming changes and deliver meaningful information to their stakeholders.
- Fortune 500® companies and associations rely on the State Net service for legislative and regulatory tracking.
- 150K legislative and 30K regulatory measures are collected each year.
- Subject matter experts normalize and validate the content.
LexisNexis State Net site
- LexisNexis TotalPatent One®: use for content-comprehensive patent research, analysis and retrieval service available anywhere. The TotalPatent One collections represent the most comprehensive, searchable, online collection of full-text and bibliographic patent information in the world in both their native languages as well as English machine translations. Additionally, TotalPatent One offers the ability to search and display by either records or patent families.
- Covers U.S. and international patents.
- Find patents owned by/assigned to companies.
- Find patents invented by/owned by individuals.
- Find patents represented by law firms or attorneys.
Total Patent One Training Videos
- LexisNexis® Verdict & Settlement Analyzer: using data-driven analysis from the industry’s largest collection of verdicts and settlements, LexisNexis Verdict & Settlement Analyzer quickly puts the range of possible outcomes into perspective with easy-to-interpret charts and dynamic graphs. Tap into the entire collection of LexisNexis verdict and settlement data—1.2M+ records—each time you search. Get a visual overview of verdicts and settlements related to litigants, injuries, topics, award amounts, jurisdictions and more—utilizing the nation’s largest collection of verdict and settlement documents.
- Evaluate “what-if” scenarios for potential outcomes based on analytics using pinpoint filters.
LexisNexis Verdict & Settlement Analyzer Support & Training
LexisNexis, Lexis, CourtLink, Lexis Advance, LexisNexis SmartLinx, SmartLinx, Securities Mosaic, State Net, LexisNexis TotalPatent One, TotalPatent One and the Knowledge Burst logo are registered trademarks, and Nexis Diligence and Nexis Newsdesk are trademarks of RELX Inc. Intelligize is a registered trademark of Intelligize, Inc. Law360 is a registered trademark of Portfolio Media, Inc. Lex Machina is a registered trademark of Lex Machina, Inc. Other products or services may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. © 2020 LexisNexis.