Lawyers have a responsibility to ensure that clients understand the scope of, and any limitations on, their representation. Courts have recently clarified the responsibilities of lawyers in drafting engagement letters and in limiting the scope of their representation.
This 60 minute CLE presentation focuses on the importance of clearly limiting the scope of a lawyer’s representation at the outset of representation. Additionally, this presentation outlines strategies for drafting engagement letters that accurately describe the scope of the attorney-client relationship.
After completing this course, you will:
• Understand the lawyer’s responsibility to ensure client understanding of representation
• Identify common oversights in drafting engagement letters
• Demonstrate how to effectively convey limitations on representation scope in engagement agreements
• Understand how to effectively draft client engagement letters to best serve the client and protect your practice from potential claims
• Demonstrate how to effectively balance responsibilities to clients with time limitations on representation
See CLE State Accreditation for credit details.
If you are licensed in New York, this content is appropriate for both newly admitted and experienced New York attorneys. Although, this content is appropriate for all New York attorneys, newly admitted attorneys cannot earn CLE credit for the completion of the course when presented via on-demand.